VeriSM™ is fundamentally an approach that can help support organizations in their efforts to decode the digital era. However, this does not just mean implementing digital technologies in your organization. It also means embracing the Enterprise Service management culture which focuses on building the required capabilities in the organization. Another essential element with regards to organizational mindset is the need to adopt a culture of constant change whilst keeping people at the center of it, to ensure that digital transformation is possible within the organization.
VeriSM™ is focused on delivering value to the consumer by constantly placing emphasis on consumer requirements. Governance is important for setting up the vision, mission, and strategy of the organization. Service Management principles act as guardrails for the organization so that it can stay relevant in the digital world. VeriSM™ focuses on evolving from an organization’s current operating model to a new and improved target operating model to stay relevant in this VUCA (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex & Ambiguous) world.
The 1st of the 3 Pillars of VeriSM – Management Mesh:
The Management Mesh provides the flexibility of picking and choosing the required and most suitable elements for each organization. These elements are divided into Resources, Environment, Management Practices, and Emerging Technologies.
The 2nd of the 3 Pillars of VeriSM – People and Organizational Structure (Digital Leadership):
VeriSM™ talks about the concept of Digital Leadership and how to handle and manage people during this era of digital transformation. Digital organizations are always consumer-focused, do everything by design, learn by experimentation, focus on continual improvements, are strong believers of automation, they always have a sense of urgency, and are good networkers. Digital organizations focus on achieving operational excellence. They also consider technology an enabler for achieving business value by transforming the way of doing business.
To handle digital organizations traditional structures will not be relevant. As a result, organizational structures need to become flatter, more agile and empowered to deliver value to the consumers. It has to be led by a digital leader or digital leaders.
Characteristics Digital Leaders Need:
- Adaptable: Efficient at decision making and changing strategy in a volatile environment.
- Effective Delegator: Empowers the team whilst avoiding micro-management.
- Effective Communicator: Understands the vision, mission, and strategy of the organization and shares it effectively with their teams.
- Deal with Conflicts: Digital leaders should have great negotiation skills to navigate through tough situations.
- Effective Change Sponsorer & Agents: Digital leaders are good at motivating teams under them to handle continual change in an effective manner.
- VUCA world resilient: They should be able to handle the VUCA (Volatile, Uncertain, Complex & Ambiguous) world in the most effective way.
- Agile Mindset: An agile mindset is essential to deal with today’s digital environment.
- Emotional Quotient (EQ): Leaders should have a high and stable EQ to deal with on-going change.
The 3rd of the 3 Pillars of VeriSM – Service Culture:
Service culture is basically focused on doing everything whilst keeping consumers at the center of your value delivery.
© Van Haren Publishing, 2017 (Service Culture picture extracted from VeriSM™)
When the due focus is placed on service culture within the organization, it results in satisfied staff which in turn results in a great service experience which leads to higher customer satisfaction. Satisfied customers mean more repeat business which increases organizational profit and boosts long term sustainable growth.
The Benefits of Adopting VeriSM™
- Value-Driven Organizations: VeriSM™ always focuses on bringing value to the customer in the digital age.
- Embracing Change/Evolving: VeriSM™ helps because it is more flexible to changes because it is a continuously evolving approach.
- Responsive: VeriSM™ is focused on tailoring Service Management practices based on your organizational needs in order to bring value.
- Integrated Approach: VeriSM™ always focuses on an integrated approach that helps bring synergy to old and new Service management practices.
About the Author
Atul Anand is a digital leader managing Application transition & transformation in Tollgroup. He has experience of more than 14 years in leading IT Service management teams in different multi-national organizations across the world. He is a Global MBA from SP Jain School of Global Management, Singapore-Dubai. He has done Advance Program in Strategic Management from IIM Calcutta, Kolkata. In his role as Educationist, Atul Anand has conducted several seminars and info sessions in SP Jain School of Global Management ( Mumbai, Pune, Singapore) and JECRC ( Engineering college, Jaipur) on Digital disruptions and IT service management in the digital era. He is an accredited trainer for VeriSM foundation course.